Saturday 8 May 2021

Why I left Shell and Intel

Even though it is a dream for many, but I resigned from Shell and Intel after a short time of employment. I've worked only 3 days at Intel, and 7 weeks at Shell.


Let's start with Intel. I saw a job advertisement in the newspaper. I called the number, and the Agency set a time the next day for the interview at the Agency's office at Batu Maung, Penang. The Manager is a humble person. His explanation about the job, and his expectation on me was clear. I liked his honesty, and believed he can guide me. The interview went well. After couple of days, he called me and said, please come to Intel Campus (i.e. manufacturing facility) at Bayan Lepas, we would like to negotiate salary and introduce you to the Intel's counterpart.

During the 2nd interview, the Intel's counterpart (from HR department I guess) broke the news that I will be given a "Green badge". Since I'm not familiar with what it means, I asked innocently about it. The HR person said, we have mainly two badges. One is Blue, and the other is Green. It's not a choice, but, the color is decided by either permanent or contract staff.

It's kind of pride to wear Blue badge (permanent staff) at Intel. I told to myself, it's okay, let me start with Green, and with hard work and dedication, I will get a Blue badge soon. 

The HR then told me that my working place is not at this Campus, but it will be at another building closer to Batu Maung. And I was like, I never knew that Intel has another Campus/building. This is when the HR revealed one of the trade secret of Intel at Penang. That building don't have any signage of Intel and is dedicated for warehouse.

On the first day of the job, to enter into the building, I have to pass through tight security measures (tighter than before boarding an aeroplane). I was told, this will be the norm here, and it will be the same before exiting as well. This itself doesn't create a good first impression. However, that evening, I was joking with friends, I've got "intel" about "Intel". I hope you get the joke. First 2 days went okay, but i don't feel the sense of belongingness. The working environment and colleagues are not that friendly. Everybody doing their own stuff. 

On the 3rd day, I received a phone call from a small family business company. I did attend an interview 1-2 weeks earlier. It didn't went well, and I thought I won't be selected. To my surprise, the Owner decided to recruit me, and offered me a salary over the phone it self. It's comparable salary to Intel. He asked me if I can join ASAP. This time, without consulting anybody, I've decided to quit Intel. The small company seemed to provide much better working and learning environment. I quit Intel that day itself. I returned my badge (it was a sad moment) at the end of the day. The Agency did pay my salary for the 3 days that I worked there.

Now, let's talk about Shell. I saw a job advertisement in the newspaper, and I called the number. At that time, another friend of mine was also looking for a job. Two of us went to the interview at the same time. The interview went well. After couple of days, the Manager called to offer both of us jobs at Shell. But, there is a catch. Me and my friend can't work at the same time. Therefore, he split us into morning shift and evening shift. 

Reluctantly we agreed, but, I too put a condition. The job nature requires us to work for 6 days in a week. Lunch break is only 1 hour. My condition was, I want my off day to be on Friday. I told him, I want to pray Friday prayer at Mosque. With 1 hour lunch break time, it won't be enough. I don't want to request for extra "free" hours for this. To make it easier and transparent, I need Friday as off day. He was surprised with my condition. But, he liked my way of thinking, and he appreciated my honesty. Without a blink, he accepted my conditions. He asked us to join Shell the next day.

Every single day was rosey. Plenty of learnings and I felt proud working with Shell. They really know how to welcome and groom new employees. After 2-3 weeks, I managed to be in the good book of the Manager. After about 6 weeks of working, I felt the need to resign from Shell. I needed time to prepare for the next chapter of my life. For this, I need 1-2 weeks off, and 100% focus. It was unfortunate, but I convinced myself to break the news to the Manager. He can't believe I wanted to resign from Shell. With heavy heart, he accepted my resignation. I gave 1 week of notice. My colleagues can't comprehend the fact that I will be leaving the Company in 1 week. I've tried my best to console them, but I realize this is part of human feelings. We parted our ways, but the memories still remain.

---End---

At this point, you might be wondering, what was my job scope at Intel and Shell. Now for the big reveal.

Just before my final semester at University, I've got 3 months of holiday. As usual, whenever I get long holidays like this, I will find opportunity to gain working experience. Since it will be only few months, I have to pick and choose. The job that I got at Intel was as Warehouse Security Guard. Green badge at Intel. I left the job because a franchise DIY hardware shop owner offered me a job as sales assistant, and it offers a lot more learning than being a security guard.

After completing SPM, I spent some time to apply for university/college/matriculation placements. Once all the applications sent out, I started to look for jobs. That's when I came across job opening at Shell petrol station as Pump Attendant. It's Shell right?. I left the job on the day SPM results is announced, so that I can focus on completing UPU (public university placement) applications.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: