Saturday 29 May 2021

My Grandmother Participated at 1956 Olympic

Nani (not real name) participated in 200m butterfly swimming competition at 1956 Olympic, Melbourne. Although she didn't win medal for Malaysia at that time, it was a life changing moment in her life. Imagine that you have trained and struggle a lot, but when the victory is just a mile away, you failed to deliver when it matter the most.

I recall she used to tell us about her upbringing. Her father, Abi, is a humble road-side hawker. He encourages his children to pursue their dreams. This is not a norm those days. Parents will either force children to help in their business, or focus on higher studies. Her mother, Maria, on the other hand, always focuses on household chores, while expect Nani to do the same. My grandmother is a dreamer. She wanted to achieve something in life. Who would have thought, her daily activity, swimming (read play) in the river behind her house would turn out to be her amazing journey to win a gold medal.

When Nani was 12 years old, a group of professional swimmers from Australia made a jungle retreat nearby our house. Great grandfather, Abi, was nominated by villagers to become the host, partly due to his good English language proficiency. He will always bring Nani together every time he is meeting the group. One day, all the girls from the group wanted to relax and enjoy river swimming. Nani showed them the best spot for it, and also joined them. They were amazed looking at how quick and skillful Nani could swim. To an extend, some of them felt Nani will easily outweighs them.

Alicia, the most senior amongst the group, had a spark (prophecy), and she is convinced that, given proper training and guidance, Nani can be one of the best swimmer in the world. She took her courage, and confronted with Abi and Maria. Nani's parents are traditionally oriented. Even though Abi gives freedom and support for dreams, but allowing his daughter to participate in overseas Swimming training/coaching center is considered extreme. Alicia provided assurance that Nani will be fully sponsored, and be taken care by the Swimming Association, and she will be her mentor. It will be a minimum of 2 years commitment. Later that evening, Abi wanted to hear from Nani. She was speechless, and can't really think rationally anymore. This didn't stopped Alicia to continue in her pursue to convince Abi and Maria. 

After about a week, Abi decided to allow Nani to join the center, with a condition that she will be staying at home with Abi and Maria, while Abi is allowed to enter and see what is happening at the center. The center agreed to Abi's conditions. That's how they ended up going to Melbourne in 1950.

After 4 years of intensive professional trainings, and multiple inter-state competitions, Nani is well equipped, and ready to return to Malaysia in 1954. Two years later, Nani was selected to represent Malaysia (Malaya at that time) in Olympic. Her return to Melbourne rekindled her memories. 


Nani thought she will win gold medal. She trained hard and put her 100% focus. Looking at the huge international crowd for the first time, the sudden overwhelming feeling took her confidence away. She couldn't show to the world what she is capable of doing. The good thing about Nani is, she never give up. Alicia was there throughout, and her spark on Nani remain unchanged.

Nani trained even harder, and at 1960 Olympic, Italy, a new gold medalist from Malaysia was introduced to the world. She created a world record, and her name is forever carved in the world's history. The spark (prophecy) of Alicia turned out to be true.


Nani then participated in many competitions, and also founded and become the chairman of the SEA Swimming Federation. She is still supporting many NGO's related to womens' involvement in sports. 

There is a saying, "where else the gravy will fall if not on the rice plate". Meaning, it's natural that the children will get the traits from their parents. Ironically, my Mother is not keen on any sports. She is more like Maria, my great grandmother. She is soft spoken, humble, and she is more into soft skills.

Me on the other hand, having mixed genes, picked-up the legacy of Nani in swimming. She and Alecia guided and groomed me to become a professional swimmer. At 2000 Olympic, Sydney. I represented Malaysia for 400m freestyle. Due to Nani's hectic schedule, she couldn't come to Australia to join me and Alecia.


During the finals, I felt butterfly in my stomach, and almost fainted. The overwhelming feeling is real. I called Nani to get some advice from her. She said... In order to unleash your potential, you need to focus on "winning", and not on "fear of losing". Those wisdom words helped me to focus better.

At the block stand, just before the competition begins, I blanked the crowd, deafed my hearing, and made my eyes to only see my own swimming lane, number six. From the start, my only focus was to win. Unfortunately, half way through, my shoulder was dislocated, and I'm forced to be withdrawn. At first, I felt devastated, and angry at myself. Soon after, I realized that my effort and intent is genuine. Therefore, within my means, I've done all that one can possibly do. 

Fast forward.... in 2020, I'm not a professional swimmer nor involved with anything to do with swimming. I've decided to become a school teacher. I want to continue the legacy of my great grandfather, Abi, to help others achieving their dreams. I've also written and published 3 best seller books till date; "How not to Win", "Running Against the Flow", and "The race between Kancil and Lamborghini". Life is full of ups and downs. Learn from others, and always pass it on.

Today, my 6yo daughter, Nani (we named her in the remembrance of my late grandmother) is enjoying river swimming. Perhaps another legacy in the making.


Note: this is not a real story okay. Created to entertain you only.

Thanks for Reading.

No comments: