Wednesday 5 May 2021

How I Met an Angel

On a Saturday morning, Year 2006, November... we started our weekly routine to explore Switzerland. Once we reached Zürich Hauptbahnhof from Oerlikon station, we need to walk through the main lobby area. That's where I met an Angel.

 

It's all started in September 2006. I got an interview call from Alstom Power for the position Gas Turbine Commissioning Engineer. During the 1st round of interview, the Manager particularly interested with a line in my resume... "Tutor for Gas Turbine Propulsion". We spent first 30min on me explaining how Gas Turbine works. The next 30min is about usual interview questions. The interview session went okay. 


Then, 1 week before Eid (a Muslim festival after fasting for 1 month in Ramadhan), I received a phone call from the Manager, asking me to attend a follow-up interview 2 days after Eid. I told him that I'm in Penang (~350km away from Kuala Lumpur), and It will be the 3rd day of Eid. He replied... "Owh, my advanced wishes for Eid. So, are you coming?" Reluctantly, I replied, yes. 2nd interview also went well. Towards the end of the session, he offered me the job. I was surprised. He wanted me to sign the job acceptance letter immediately. After finished reading the letter, as I'm about to put my signature (literally the pen tip is already on the letter), my mobile phone rang. Instead of signing the letter, I decided to answer the call.

The call is from HR of an Airbus component manufacturing company in Puchong. I did attend 1st round of interview 2 weeks ago which include a written test, group discussion, and 1-1 interview. Apparently they were impressed and wanted to offer me a job. He invited me to negotiate about salary the next day. 

In the nick of time, I've decided to listen to what the Airbus company has to offer versus Alstom Power. I didn't sign the offer letter. I told the Manager, I needed time, and I can only sign after 2 days. He seemed worried, and clarified if there is anything unclear. I told him, I needed to get my Mother's blessing. He was like, yeah yeah, Mother's blessing is important.

The next day, I went to the Airbus company. With some negotiation, they made the final offer. I told them, I'll provide my decision tomorrow. That evening, I've consulted with my college friend, Adam (not real name). He helped me to compare the pro's and con's of both offers. With a lot of thinking, praying, and of course blessing from my Mother, I chose......... Alstom.

The next day, I went to Alstom office, and put my signature. The manager asked me to purchase winter clothing, and be prepared to fly to Switzerland on the 1st day of the job it self. For the next 2-3 weeks, I spent the time to do some shopping and applied for passport. Yes, this is the first time I'm applying for passport.

On 13th November 2006, there were 11 of us reporting to work. All of us brought our luggages. After HR introductions, we were given laptop and quick guide on how to use Lotus Notes as email and database medium. The Manager then brought us to a Sushi restaurant (first time eating Sushi).

After lunch, at the office, there was an envelope on our table. We were given cash ~2000 swiss franc. This is the advanced payment for the allowances that we will receive after 5 weeks.
Soon after, just like The Amazing Race, each one of us were given another envelope. This time, there is one way ticket to Zurich. Mine was a transit flight via Amsterdam (KLM). Different people get different route. But essentially, all are arriving in Zurich with max 4 hours gap. For safety and security reasons, company policy doesn't allow to send entire team in one flight.

This will be my first experience onboarding into a flight. Since I studied Aerospace Engineering, I requested for a window seat (actually I forcefully swapped the seat with a friend). During the entire journey, my eardrum was in extreme pain (1st time high altitude, plus sinus). However, the pain is subsided by the joy of seeing closely how the aeroplane wing is being operated the first time.


Many things happened in between, but, fast forward, one Saturday morning, couple of us decided to explore Zurich town, since On Sunday, most of the shops are closed. Upon reaching to the lobby of Main train station, there were medium sized exhibitions ongoing. That's where we saw the Angel. I'm generally a shy type when it comes to having casual conversation with opposite gender. A friend of mine then managed to take this picture, of course with her consent.

And that's how I met an Angel.

Thanks for Reading.

No comments: